Mocha Custard is one of life’s great pleasures. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of effort, you can create a Mocha Custard so rich and creamy that you’ll never want to eat another store-bought, pre-made dessert again.
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- Step 1
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water, let soften 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; whisk in sugar and espresso powder until dissolved, about 1 minutes. Whisk in chocolate until melted (be careful not to let it burn), about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Step 3
- Whisk softened gelatin into cream mixture until gelatin has dissolved about 1 minute. Stir in milk and salt. Strain into a large liquid measuring cup (for easy pouring). Divide evenly among six 6-ounce coffee cups or custard cups. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours.
- Cook's Notes
- For a sweeter flavor, use semisweet chocolate.