As the winter breeze chills the air, nothing can be more satisfying than a warm bowl of soup. And when it comes to comfort food, split pea soup is a classic favorite for many. Its rich and hearty flavor can make even the coldest of days feel cozy and warm.
Split pea soup is a popular dish that has been enjoyed by people for centuries. It’s a simple yet flavorful soup that can be made with just a few ingredients, making it a budget-friendly option for many. However, not all split pea soup recipes are created equal. Some can be time-consuming and require a lot of ingredients, while others may not have the same depth of flavor.
If you’re looking for a simple yet delicious split pea soup recipe that will warm you up from the inside out, look no further. This recipe is easy to make and requires just a few ingredients. So, grab a bowl and get ready to enjoy a warm and comforting meal that’s perfect for those chilly winter days.
- 16 ounces dried green split peas, rinsed well and drained
- 2 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus additional as needed
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 6 cups chicken stock, or more, as needed, divided
- SLOW COOKER METHOD (Can also be made on stove top – or put ingredients into a Dutch oven into the oven)
- Layer the ingredients, through the ham bone, in a slow cooker in the order listed. Add as much of the chicken broth as needed to just cover the ingredients, about 4 to 5 cups. Reserve the remaining chicken broth for later.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Stir occasionally during the cooking time and add additional broth only if the level drops below the ingredients.
- When the peas are tender, remove the ham bone and transfer it to a cutting board. Pull off any remaining ham, tear it into small pieces, and return it to the slow cooker. Discard the ham bone and bay leaf. Use a spoon to lightly mash some of the peas against the side of the slow cooker and stir until nice and creamy, adding more broth, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
- INSTANT POT METHOD
- Set a 6-quart Instant Pot to SAUTE and toggle to MORE. When it displays HOT add 1 tablespoon Pork fat or Ghee. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Hit CANCEL.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including all 6 cups of the broth. Secure the lid, select MANUAL, and cook on HIGH pressure for 14 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 10 minutes and then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the ham bone to a cutting board. Use a fork to pull away any ham from the ham bone, chop it into pieces and add back to the soup. Discard the bone. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
Le site web s'est reconnecté au %s.