Are you tired of the same old sandwich routine? Do you want to try something new and delicious? Look no further than a Greek style pita sandwich!
Greek cuisine is known for its fresh and flavorful ingredients, and the pita sandwich is no exception. This sandwich is a staple in Greek street food, and for good reason. It’s easy to make, customizable to your taste preferences, and packed with protein and veggies.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Greek style pita sandwich and how you can make it at home. We’ll explore the different ingredients you can use, from classic gyro meat to vegetarian options, and how to assemble the perfect sandwich. Get ready to add some Mediterranean flair to your lunchtime routine!
This recipe is a super-easy way to use ground lamb or ground pork. Just make sure to purchase the lean version. We like to top it off with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes.
- ½ lb lean lamb or pork
- Pita bread (we like BFree GF pita bread)
- ¼ C plain yogurt
- 1 t dried dillweed
- Garlic powder
- onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 sm cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 sm tomato, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350°. Wrap pit bread in foil & warm in oven for 10 minutes.
- Season meat with garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper on both sides. Heat a medium fry pan, add enough lard to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the meat and cook to get a little sear & turn over the meat to get the other side. This should take less than 10 minutes as you don’t want the meat well done.
- Take the meat out of the pan and place on the cutting board to rest.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt & dillweed and set aside.
- Thinly slice the meat across the grain.
- Spread some of the yogurt into each pita half. Add meat, cucumber slices & tomatoes.