Churros are a delicious fried dough pastry that originated in Spain and have since become a popular treat all over the world. While they are commonly found in restaurants and food stands, making them at home can be a fun and tasty activity for the whole family.
Have you ever craved churros but didn’t feel like leaving the house to buy them? Or maybe you want to surprise your loved ones with a homemade treat? Well, look no further because making churros at home is easier than you think!
Making homemade churros can be a fun and rewarding experience. Not only do they taste amazing, but they are also surprisingly simple to make. With just a few ingredients and some basic kitchen tools, you can create a batch of warm, crispy churros that will rival any restaurant’s. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making homemade churros step by step, so you can enjoy this delicious treat anytime you want.
Churros are one of those items that we always run out of and is often a total mystery to create. This recipe is super easy, but does require a little planning.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Additional oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, oil and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Transfer to a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until the dough softens. Add egg and lemon zest; beat for 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a deep cast-iron or heavy skillet, heat 1 in. oil to 375°. Insert a large star tip in a pastry bag; fill with dough. On a baking sheet, pipe dough into 4-in. strips.
- Transfer strips to skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over churros. Serve warm.
- Nutrition Facts
- 1 fritter: 122 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.