A simple fennel citrus salad that can be served as a side dish or can be eaten as a meal.
This dish uses the unique flavors of fennel and citrus to create a sweet and sour salad that is perfect as a side dish or served as a meal over rice. Do try this simple salad the next time you are looking for something new and different.
- ⅓ cup raw walnuts
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 spicy red chili, thinly sliced (we used a thai chili)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 citrus of choice, we used a mix and match of Cara Cara orange, Navel orange, and grapefruit
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, reserve fronds as garnish
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves
- 5 cups baby arugula
- ¼ cup olive oil
- -Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 3 minutes, remove from the oven. Set aside to cool.
- -Add the shallots and chili to a bowl together with the fish sauce and red wine vinegar to pickle while preparing the rest.
- -Section the citrus by slicing off the ends, removing the peel, then using a sharp knife to cut clean sections out between the membranes.
- -Transfer all the citrus segments into the bowl with the shallots and chili. Squeeze the citrus mixture, using your hands, to release some of the juices.
- -Toss the fennel, mint, and arugula with the citrus mixture and top with olive oil.
- -Serve in individual bowls topped with the toasted walnuts and fennel fronds.