Are you looking for a low-carb alternative to the classic mac and cheese? Look no further than this keto cauliflower mac and cheese recipe.
The ketogenic diet has become increasingly popular in recent years as a way to lose weight and improve overall health. One of the main principles of this diet is to limit carbohydrate intake, which can make it difficult to enjoy comfort foods like mac and cheese.
However, with the help of cauliflower, a versatile and nutritious vegetable, you can create a keto-friendly version of this beloved dish without sacrificing flavor. In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make keto cauliflower mac and cheese that will satisfy your cravings without ruining your diet.
This Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe is so easy to make and is a great low-carb alternative! It’s rich, creamy and the perfect comfort food. The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s versatile. You can leave out the bacon or add more veggies if you’d like. It’s a great way to get some extra veggies in your diet.
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Butter for baking dish
- 3/4 cup / 177 mL whole milk (or heavy whipping cream)
- 3 oz / .03 kg softened cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp / 5 mL garlic powder
- ½ tsp / 2.5 mL chili powder, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups / 473 mL cheddar cheese, shredded and divided in half
- 1 cup / 236.6 mL mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Bread crumb topping
- ¼ cup / 60 mL pork rind panko crumbs
- ¼ cup / 60 mL grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp / 15 mL butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C.
- Place 1 inch of water in a large pot or large saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower florets to boiling water and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, or until tender crisp. Drain cauliflower in colander and set aside.
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Pour milk in the same pot that you used for the cauliflower, and set over medium heat. Add the cream cheese to the milk and whisk until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese; gently whisk until cheeses have completely melted.
- Add the cauliflower florets back into the pot, and using a large spoon, gently stir around until everything is covered in cheese sauce.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine pork rind crumbs, Parmesan, and melted butter; mix and stir until well combined. Sprinkle crumbs mixture in an even layer over the cauliflower.
- Bake, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.