Leeks are a flavorful and nutrient-packed member of the onion family. They are a popular ingredient in many dishes, but one of the most delicious and healthy ways to enjoy them is in a hearty bowl of leek soup.
Have you ever tried leek soup? It’s a warming and comforting dish that’s perfect for chilly days. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also incredibly healthy, making it a great addition to any diet.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of leek soup and provide you with an easy and delicious recipe to try at home. Whether you’re looking for a tasty lunch or a cozy dinner, this soup is sure to satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body. So, let’s dive in and discover the wonders of leek soup.
With the weather getting cooler, I thought I would make a nice soup that is a bit different than the normal broth and noodle soups. This leek soup is very quick and easy to make, especially if you have already made a batch of chicken stock. I make a large batch of stock and freeze it in pint containers. It is only necessary to heat this up before you make the soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Finely chopped chives for garnish
- 1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the leeks, celery, garlic, thyme, lemon zest, and cauliflower, along with the nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the pot. Sauté over medium heat, stirring regularly until the leeks begin to wilt.
- 3. Add the stock and the bay leaf and cook, covered, for 25 to 35 minutes, until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Blend using a stick blender, or transfer into a regular blender. Blend until smooth (work in batches, so as not to overfill blender).
- 4. Once pureed, return the mixture to the heat, and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- 6. Serve garnished with chopped chives.