Are you looking for a refreshing and healthy salad to add to your meal plan? Look no further than this simple fennel citrus salad.
Fennel is a unique vegetable with a slight licorice flavor that pairs perfectly with citrus fruits. Not only is it delicious, but fennel is also packed with nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. Citrus fruits are known for their high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants, making this salad a perfect choice for a healthy and satisfying meal.
This simple fennel citrus salad is easy to make and can be customized to your liking. It’s a great option for a light lunch or as a side dish to any meal. Here’s how to make it.
- ⅓ cup raw walnuts
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 spicy red chili, thinly sliced (we used a thai chili)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 citrus of choice, we used a mix and match of Cara Cara orange, Navel orange, and grapefruit
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, reserve fronds as garnish
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves
- 5 cups baby arugula
- ¼ cup olive oil
- -Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 3 minutes, remove from the oven. Set aside to cool.
- -Add the shallots and chili to a bowl together with the fish sauce and red wine vinegar to pickle while preparing the rest.
- -Section the citrus by slicing off the ends, removing the peel, then using a sharp knife to cut clean sections out between the membranes.
- -Transfer all the citrus segments into the bowl with the shallots and chili. Squeeze the citrus mixture, using your hands, to release some of the juices.
- -Toss the fennel, mint, and arugula with the citrus mixture and top with olive oil.
- -Serve in individual bowls topped with the toasted walnuts and fennel fronds.