Jump to recipe
Cuisine Italian Category Recipes
10 hours, 15 minutes
10 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 2 1/2-pound piece of beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp. Minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 12-ounce jar pepperoncini
- 1 c. beef broth
- 6 tbsp. Salted butter, softened
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 gluten-free rolls, split
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Toss the beef roast in a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker with the rosemary, ½ teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Add the pepperoncini with their brine, along with the beef broth. Cover and cook on low until the meat is very tender and easy to pull apart, 7 to 8 hours.
- When the slow cooker has about 15 minutes left, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the roast to a bowl and shred using 2 forks, then return it to the slow cooker. Keep warm.
- Preheat the broiler. Put the rolls on a baking sheet and spread with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Broil until toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Heap a generous portion of meat on each roll, then spoon some cooking liquid over the meat. Top with a few pepperoncini from the slow cooker and plenty of caramelized onions. Put 2 slices of cheese on each sandwich and return to the broiler just to melt the cheese, about 1 more minute. Serve with the extra cooking liquid on the side for dipping.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 Copyright Own Your Family